Friday, June 8, 2012

Foodie Friday: Fakin' It

My husband has a lot of wonderful qualities (and Lord I love that man), but a sense of culinary adventure is not one of them.
Which is why I have several seafood husbands.
I am lucky to have lady friends who lend me their husbands when I feel like making crab cakes, sushi or the following dish, which true foodies will cringe at because of my shameless and liberal use of imitation lobster…but fur realz, get off your pedestal and come join the bottom-feeders. Don’t judge.
Unlike real lobster, or crabmeat, the imitation stuff is not only cheap ($2.99 for a package, and for this recipe you only use half) but can be tucked away in your freezer with no consequence.
When I am craving a hearty – and not too indulgent – seafood pasta lunch or dinner, I can make this in 10 minutes flat. It is nowhere near as elegant as a restaurant meal but it is damn tasty, full of protein, fiber and veggies, and a great value.
And my kids and husband hate it which means…..you got it! More for me.
SEAFOOD (sort of) PASTA – serves 1 or 2 depending on whether you want leftovers ;-)
4 ounces multi-grain pasta, I like angel hair
½ package imitation lobster or crab, crumbled into bits
1 cup 1% milk
1 T. butter + 1 T. flour
½ cup shredded/grated fresh parmesan
Veggie veggies veggies
* Boil the pasta and throw in broccoli florets toward the end before you drain it
*While the pasta boils, melt the butter in a saucepan and whisk in the flour until a paste forms. Add the cup of milk and whisk it all together, bringing to a mild boil.
* Add the parmesan...feel free to add any other cheeses you like, you are basically making a cheese/cream suace.
* Throw in the "lobster", adding also a cup of chopped up tomatoes and some baby spinach if you have it. Carrots, scallions and any other veggies you have lying around would be a nice addition. Simmer this sauce until its time to drain the pasta.
* Toss all the yumminess together.
* Consume while reading www.confessionsofacurvygirl.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment