Thursday, October 18, 2012

Wild Child


“Ever close your eyes?  Ever stop and listen?  Ever feel alive?  And you’ve nothing missing?  You don’t need a reason; let the day go on and on.”

 “Wild Child” by Enya is one of my favorite pieces of music of all time.  Have you heard it?  If not, you must:  http://youtu.be/Wkk0puI6NfA.

As time passes me by, I become increasingly aware of how ridiculously fast the years, the days, and the moments surpass us all.  You will notice I opted against using the word “age” – as in, how I age!  The older I get, the more stubborn I become in allowing myself to age!  We tell our children to act their age, but honestly, why should they?  Why should we?  I want to be a wild child!

The more, er, um, mature I get, the more I refuse to allow people who cast judgment upon me to bother me.  If I want to wear a pink wig and rock…..it…..out……well, then so be it.  I am going to wear a pink wig; I am going to act like I am young at heart and frankly, be a wild child.  If I want to giggle over the word flatulence, well, then so be it – we all know it IS funny.  Honestly, I do not care if people laugh at me – in fact, I want them to laugh at me!  Heck, it may have been their only funny spot that day.  I am going to have one helluva ride throughout the remainder of my years; either you jump on and have a scream with me, or you move aside and get out of my way.

I recently went to a fundraiser where the theme of the party was simply to have fun.  Props were provided as was good music.  As I pored over the pictures, the very evidence of many people in their best “wild child”; I realized, this is exactly what it means to be alive – to live in your moment, to live your life.  Why can we not have a moment like this every day?  Can we get absolutely lost in a musical moment?  Can we fall apart in side-splitting laughter?   Can we relish the view of the changing hues of fall for longer than a passing glance?

Every time I listen closely to the words of “Wild Child”, I feel the need to embrace my inner child for perhaps an infinite period of time.  I do not need to make up for lost time for some of my more challenging periods of my youth.  I only need to assure myself that upon my last hour, I will reflect upon a life, MY LIFE, as being chock full of nuts – and no, I am not talking about coffee. 

As the dragonfly season comes to a close, I have been thinking about the local young woman who passed in August more and more (Fly Free).  My actions are consumed with thoughts about how mundane our daily lives truly are NOT. 

Instead of grinding my teeth because of my helter skelter:  I have to fit in yet another trip to the grocery store after work, after the pre-school pick up, but in between the boy’s cross-country practice, the girl’s soccer practice and the boy’s soccer practice, all whilst somehow cleaning up the cat vomit, making dinner and paying the electric bill that was due three days ago.   

I simply close my eyes, I stop and I listen.  I feel alive.  I have nothing missing. 

Wild Child lyrics
Ever close your eyes
ever stop and listen
ever feel alive
and you've nothing missing
you don't need a reason
let the day go on and on

Let the rain fall down
everywhere around you
give into it now
let the day surround you
you don't need a reason
let the rain go on and on

What a day
what a day to take to
what a way
what a way
to make it through
what a day
what a day to make you
a wild child

Only take the time
from the helter skelter
every day you find
everything's in kilter
you don't need a reason
let the day go on and on

Every summer sun
every winter evening
every spring to come
every autumn leaving
you don't need a reason
let it all go on and on


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment