Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Life is Better With Cookies

Look, I'm having a crappy week, okay?

You've had one before like this, I'm sure. Nobody likes me, I'm simultaneously invisible to everyone and parading my worst traits before their face. I suck at my job -- don't worry, they copied me on the memo. I suck at losing weight, I'm a horrible mother according to 2 out of 3 children, and I'm beginning to think I am the reason my husband needs antidepressants. I might quite possibly be the worst friend ever despite my very best efforts, and if I can get out of this dark hole with even one pal standing, it will be a mircale.

There's dust on my guitar, there's dust everywhere actually. The laundry pile is about to swallow me whole and I am a terrible cook according to 3 out of 3 children and I think it's possible that I will never amount to anything professionally.

I wasn't going to blog today, because frankly I know I sound like a downer and you guys are so nice to even bother reading anything I write anyways so I hate to drag you through the mud that is my life.

But thanks to one of those random facebook friends (that I am not even sure how -- or if -- we know each other, where she lives or anything else other than I keep stealing her stuff and posting it here), I found a beacon of light during an otherwise miserable day.


Now here's the thing. I'm curvy. I can't eat cookies with wild abandon. Cookies are approximately 42% of the reason I am curvy in the first place, with the remaining 58% having much to do with cupcakes.

But I found y'all a little something you might like....a cookie recipe that makes exactly TWO delicious little cookies. Orginially posted by Melissa at Number 2 Pencil, this is a recipe even the curvies can feel good about indulging in on an off day.

Print it out, ladies. Put it somewhere super secret, tuck it away for a rainy day.

But when you are having one of those Nobody Likes Me, Everybody Hates Me, I'm Gonna Go Eat Worms kind of days....don't eat worms. Eat cookies.

Perfect Single Serving Chocolate Chip Cookies
by Melissa at No. 2 Pencil

Makes two large chocolate chip cookies

2 tablespoons of butter
2 firmly packed tablespoons of dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
Pinch of kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
1 egg yolk - discard or set aside egg white for a different use
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
3 heaping tablespoons of semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a microwave safe bowl, heat butter just until it starts to melt and is softened. Blend softened butter, sugars, salt, and vanilla together by hand. Add egg yolk and stir again. Add baking soda and flour and stir until combined. Then stir in chocolate chips.

Form cookie dough into two balls and place on baking sheet. The cookies will spread during baking, so make sure they are several inches apart. Bake for about 8 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.

Remove baking sheet from oven and give the baking sheet a firm, but careful bang on the counter top. This will deflate the cookie and give it a perfect wrinkly appearance.


  1. Never heard of a recipe for just 2 cookies, interesting. Hope your week turns around! :) Danica

  2. Don't eat worms.... I like you!
    Besides you won't be able to dig up the frozen dirt and I won't tell you where Gerard stashes his fishing worms!