Friday, March 9, 2012

The "NEW" Taco Night


Inspired by the lovely dish at The Cheesecake Factory, I created my own Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps at home. Since I did this a couple of years ago, this meal has become a staple in our home, liked by adults and children alike. Wehave replaced the infamous taco night with lettuce wrap night - and even more so, we have discovered that we enjoy these lettuce wraps with cabbage instead! The crunch provided by the cabbage makes every one come back for seconds and thirds. What's a Curvy Girl mom to say when her family is chomping away on cabbage-y goodness?

Here's the recipe:

1 lb boneless chicken breast (Buy Local!)
1-2 heads of Bibb/Boston lettuce, Napa Cabbage (Experiment - find what you and your family like).
1-2 c shredded carrots
1 large cucumber (chopped into small pieces and tossed with a little rice vinegar and sesame seeds).
1 bag of bean sprouts
1/2 c diced fresh cilantro
1/4 c peanuts crushed
Teriyaki sauce
Peanut sauce

Cook chicken in a large saute pan. I prefer to use sesame oil for this dish as it provides a little extra oomph of flavor! Dice chicken into bite sized pieces. You may leave as is or toss in a little of your favorite teriyaki sauce. My family prefers the Iron Chef Sesame Garlic Teriyaki, but I will warn you it's a little high on the sugar content.

Put everything in little serving bowls so everyone can make their own based on their preferences.

I layer my cabbage leaf with chicken, cucumbers, bean sprouts and carrots. I'm partial to peanut sauce (I make my own) but there are numerous ones on the market that are good - including House of Tsang. Again, watch the sugar content! I use only a small amount for flavor/spice! I top it off with fresh cilantro (coupled with the grossed out cries of my family as they detest cilantro). Roll it and voila. The flavors meld in your mouth! This meal is loaded with fiber and nutrients! The calorie content is lower than tacos or other nightime staples!

Hope you enjoy!!! Happy Friday! Happy Weekend!

1 comment:

  1. excellent! i really like collard greens rubbed with olive oil for this purpose... messy but delicious...

    ReplyDelete