Thursday, November 8, 2012

Hand in Hand

Today's prompt:

If you could have any job (and instantly have the training and qualifications to do it), which job would you want?

I have always wanted to swim with whales. I didn't say much about it when younger because I was afraid kids would say I wanted to hang out with "my kind". When I was older I realized the math involved with becoming a marine biologist and I bailed. I wondered if I could keep up the ruse of being a Green Peace volunteer just so I could be on a little boat chasing a whaling ship? And I would get to be near the whales while cutting off his ropes. For a while I seriously considered working on a whale watch ship, but a commute to Ptown seemed INSANE in the heart of Summer...So now I just enjoy the occasional trip on the Dolphin Fleet with the kids.

I have always wanted to be an author, but don't take rejection well. For a while, I sent out manuscripts, but really nothing gets looked at from a person out of the blue. (But be sure to read up on Madonna's newest children's book, of course. I am sure Snooky (Snookie?) will have one soon, too.) So I write some fun emails and FB updates and get my kicks on this awesome shared blog instead.

Really, I centered my whole life around being a mom. My desire to have children lead me to become a teacher. My wonderful upbringing made me want to stay home for as long as I could with my kids. Then I wanted them to get into school so I could have some time to myself. Then I got some time to myself and I felt guilty so I put my name in to substitute and get back into teaching. Then between the teaching gigs I became a lump. Lost. I puttered. I looked at my husband from the corner of my corduroy couch, feeling small and said, "I think I want to be a teacher again." He nodded, knowing this all along. Knowing how much I was missing being with students. It is surprisingly very different than being with my own children. I love my kids and having fun, but I have a different fulfillment when I am with students. And when I get home, unless I had a really tough day at school, I am a far better mother for having been in the classroom. I remember that my kids are kids when I have been teaching all day. And I remember that my students are kids when I have helped my child through a meltdown the night before.

If I could have any job in the world, I would want to be a mom and a teacher. How fortunate is that? Though I would still love the bit about the instant training and qualifications because I don't know if I would ever have that.

No comments:

Post a Comment