Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Basketcase

 My kids recently returned home from a night at Gramma's, announcing that they had all cozied up for movie night and watched The Breakfast Club.

While I am not entirely ready for my 6 year old to ask me the meaning of a hot beef injection, I still think it's a timeless classic and I may as well let go of the notion that they are going to be watching episodes of Little Bear for all eternity.

Frankly, the movie had been on my mind.

Not only is it a theme in my kids' recent favorite movie, Pitch Perfect, it also just happened to have been a topic of conversation at a recent family gathering. My sisters and our husbands were all able to identify the character from The Breakfast Club that most closely  mimics our own personalities.

In other words, 5 out of 5 people in my family agreed that Ally Sheedy and I are one. My older sister? The Nerd. My younger sister? The Princess.

I hadn't been sure it was that black and white. As far as I am concerned, there are little pieces of all of us in all five. I always saw something of myself in this guy:
Does the population boil down to only five types of people? Or,is it just that it is too easy for us to identify with one generalization?
 
And, if that is the case, which one are YOU?


3 comments:

  1. I'm more of a "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" person. Molly watched "Pitch Perfect" 3 times in a row!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure where I fit in either....I was the jock, but sort of wanted to be the princess, but way less girlie, but related with the basket case.......

    ReplyDelete