Sunday, October 21, 2012

A Little New England for a Sunday Morning

 
It's Sunday - and I just had to share with you the goodness of what I just made because I know you will love it too!  The house smells so cozy and warm.  After one bite, your tummy will literally smile and you can embrace the New England fallness in the air!
 
 
 
A little back story about the love of these tidbits of fall nourishments, first.  Back in 1998, I was working for an energetic woman lawyer in Worcester doing Labor & Employment law.  We had a couple of older, sweet school teachers who had been dismissed from their jobs for younger candidates.  In the multiple visits these gems made to our office, they would come bearing homemade treats.  One day is etched in my memory - my tastebuds did the dance of joy as they rolled around with pumpkin goodness.  Our clients shared that this was indeed the Longfellow Wayside Inn's recipe for Pumpkin Muffins.  Anyone in New England knows that the Wayside Inn is about as New England as one can get. 
 
With that, I share with you the deliciousness for your own home.  I had no raisins, so I used chopped dates and I added walnuts.  I also sprinkled the top of the muffins with a cinnamon and sugar topping.  Enjoy.


 

Pumpkin Muffins
Longfellow's Wayside Inn

1 cup raisins
1/2 cup water
2 eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin
1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup canola oil
1-3/4 cups flour

1-1/2 teaspoon baking power
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Soak the raisins in the water for 5 minutes, do not drain. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs until foamy, stir in the pumpkin, sugar, cloves, cinnamon, and salt. Add the canola oil and mix well. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add the dry mixture to the pumpkin mixture with half of the raisin-water mixture. Mix well, add remaining raisin mixture; stir to mix. Fill greased muffin pans 2/3 full. Bake at 400 degrees F until the top springs back when pressed with fingers, about 25 minutes for muffins, 22 for muffin tops.

No comments:

Post a Comment