Barbie Power Packs had 7 dolls. Narrowing my Real Life Women Power Pack (RLWPP)® was difficult. And I don't know if I can, really. These power packs might keep popping up for you all through the weeks...
REAL LIFE WOMEN POWER PACK®!!!
Sally Ride- Comes with miniature shuttle and classroom material for your teachers on how to keep children interested in Science!
Hilary Clinton- Comes with glasses you can remove as well as a can of whoop-ass!
Tina Fey- Complete with copy of her book, Bossy Pants. (Amy Poehler side kick available with 3 proofs of purchase.)
Martina Navratilova- Has a tennis racket you can use! Rainbow and pink ribbon magnets for your car included!
Francis Perkins- Comes with a Social Security card for you! And a mini diploma that reads: Mount Holyoke, Class of 1902. (Deal with it. My power pack)
Marie Curie- comes with everything you see here! (Radium not included. Kids, ask mom and dad before touching Marie Curie. Do not taunt Marie Curie.)
I could make a RLWPP for artists, one for writers. I could do sports and sciences. I can go on. Which is amazing. To stop and look at all the available role models our daughters/nieces/granddaughters/friend's daughters have, we certainly have come a long way. And these are the ones you can find on line, in books, on A&E biography. How about the role models we can find in our homes? Families? Schools? Places of worship? Afterschool activities. How about you? And me?
My niece wrote a paper about me 2 years ago on how I was someone whom she admired. I have been a better person ever since. Just knowing that I was being seen by someone I didn't create, or who didn't create me, as an important person in the world? I got better that instant.
(Boxes of tissues included with every reading.)
And by the by- Mulan was real. Her tale translated:
- The sound of one sigh after another, As Mulan weaves at the doorway.
- No sound of the loom and shuttle, Only that of the girl lamenting.
- Ask her of whom she thinks, Ask her for whom she longs.
- "There is no one I think of, There is no one I long for.
- Last night I saw the army notice, The emperor is calling a great draft.
- A dozen volumes of battle rolls, Each one with my father's name.
- My father has no grown-up son, And I have no elder brother.
- I'm willing to buy a horse and saddle, To go to battle in my father's place."
- She buys a fine steed at the east market; A saddle and blanket at the west market;
- A bridle at the south market; And a long whip at the north market.
- She takes leave of her parents at dawn, To camp beside the Yellow River at dusk.
- No sound of her parents hailing their girl, Just the rumbling waters of the Yellow River.
- She leaves the Yellow River at dawn, To reach the Black Mountains by dusk.
- No sound of her parents hailing their girl, Just the cries of barbarian cavalry in the Yan hills.
- Ten thousand miles she rode in war, Crossing passes and mountains as if on a wing.
- On the northern air comes the sentry's gong, Cold light shines on her coat of steel.
- The general dead after a hundred battles, The warriors return after ten years.
- They return to see the Son of Heaven, Who sits in the Hall of Brilliance.
- The rolls of merit spin a dozen times, Rewards in the hundreds and thousands.
- The emperor asks her what she desires, "I've no need for the post of a gentleman official,
- I ask to borrow a camel fleet of foot, To carry me back to my hometown."
- Her parents hearing their girl returns, Out to the suburbs to welcome her back.
- Elder sister hearing her sister returns, Adjusts her rouge by the doorway.
- Little brother hearing his sister returns, Sharpens his knife for pigs and lamb.
- "I open my east chamber door, And sit on my west chamber bed.
- I take off my battle cloak, And put on my old-time clothes.
- I adjust my wispy hair at the window sill, And apply my bisque makeup by the mirror.
- I step out to see my comrades-in-arms, They are all surprised and astounded:
- 'We travelled twelve years together, Yet didn't realize Mulan was a lady!'"
- The male rabbit is swifter of foot, The eyes of the female are somewhat smaller.
- But when the two rabbits run side by side, How can you tell the female from the male?