Tuesday, May 7, 2013

It's All About Me

Again, many thanks to Surprise Mama for recognizing us and inviting us to play along. Isn't this what blogging is anyways? Talking about ourselves ad nauseum? I'm game!


11 Random Facts About Amanda

1. Only my father calls me Amanda and has never ONCE uttered my nickname, Mandy.

2. I know exactly who I am, but I can't say I always love me. I often wish I was a softer human being.

3. Unlike 99% of the mommy population, I openly admit to the occasional toke, the occasional ciggie, and the daily dose of Wine-zac.

4. I grew up being told, frequently (by my parents), how smart, beautiful and talented I am. So yes, parents of the new millennium -- if you constantly praise your children, you will be creating a self-confident monster. Know your risk.

5. I have never once put a child in a "time-out chair" and I never will -- I don't believe in punitive discipline.

6. I write thank you notes but am not good about making my kids do so.

7. I drop the F-bomb at least 150 times a week, according to my calculations.

8. I named my firstborn child after a stranger who gave my car a jump start on the side of the highway in upstate NY simply because I told her "I'm going to name my firstborn child after you!" as she drove away, and I'm not even sure she heard me.

9. When I was 15, my boyfriend hung himself in his college dorm room. Two decades later, it still knocks the wind out of me to type those words. 

10. I scored 730/800 on my math SATs. Then I failed calculus in college.

11. I am the world's absolute worst RSVP'er.


11 Questions
  1. What is your favorite book that was made into a movie (and was the movie any good?) Water for Elephants was a movie that I felt actually brought the book to life.
  2. Vanilla or Chocolate? Yes please.
  3. What is your proudest moment? Water-birthing my baby at home. I was woman -- could you hear me roar? And then she got to wear a cute little onesie that said born@home.mom and I loved that little onesie. I guess technically, she can wear that expression on her t-shirt until she is old.
  4. What is the best job or volunteer position you have ever held? I write. It is my dream job.
  5. Sneakers or stilettos? Flip-flops. All day long.
  6. If you were to teach a class, what would it be called? Own Your Shit
  7. If you were to take a class, what would it be called? How to Stop Judging People for not Owning Their Shit
  8. What is the best gift you have ever received? My sister gave me an iPad. It would have been a decade before I could have afforded one, so she brought my family up to technological speed. I'm proud of her that she can buy people iPads as a gift. And I am happy I made the short list.
  9. What is your favorite blog (besides your own)? Postsecret
  10. If you could travel around the world, what five destinations would you be sure not to miss? I would want to visit 5 friends' homes and experience their daily lives in unusual places, but I don't have 5 international friends. I should work on that.
  11. What scares you? Posting personal stuff on this blog

A Blog To Recommend...

I don't read a lot of blogs anymore....I actually don't read any blogs anymore. I was into the scene when my kids were young and it was my only outlet and connection to civilian life. Now I work, I write, and I have great friends -- so my connections are strong IRL. (that's "in real life" in blogspeak)

But here's one to catch...
kmc-movingrightalong.blogspot.com -- this is the blog of a friend of a friend who writes with such moxie and humor, but such honesty too. She writes about life as the mom of a child with brain tumors/neurofibromatosis, and this month she is writing the story of her life post-diagnosis in honor of NF/Brain Tumor Awareness month. It's hard to read but I am so thankful she is sharing.




No comments:

Post a Comment