Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Buddy Up :: A Love Letter

I have been wanting to write for quite some time now about how important my exercise buddies are to me. If you don't have one of your own, go get one, like, right now. Hands off though -- I have about 4 or 5 of them and I need each and every one desperately so I can't share.

Having a friend to call when you need a partner in crime -- well, it's my one and only fitness tip. I can't tell you what exercise to do or for how many minutes because I sinceerely believe that enjoying your movement is the key to everything, and having a friend to share it with is the key to that enjoyment. Puzzle solved.

Frankly, my buddies are my lifeline when it comes to all things fitness and without them I can see how it would go....I would forever be lying on a yoga mat in front of a Richard Simmons VHS tape, eating leftover cold pizza and drinking a beer. At least with my buddies, we save the beer as a reward for our 6 miles power walks.

These buddies are only a quick text away and their answers to the following questions is always a resounding yes:

Hey -- wanna take a looooong walk?
Wanna go to kickboxing?
Wanna walk the dogs? (ok, the walk-the-dog buddy always says no but maybe if she reads this blog today, she will start saying yes)
Wanna swim across the lake?
Wanna go to hot yoga?
Wanna jog on side-by-side treadmills and gab?
Let's meet at the track in an hour.
Get your ass over here and we'll do some hills.

I am lucky knowing that if I throw this bait in the water, I have a sure thing waiting on the other shore. Ha. A shore thing.

I learned a little bit last week about my love language, and prior to that I never gave much thought to how important words of affirmation are to other people, so I wanted to publicly affirm my love and admiration for the people who not only share my committment to fitness, but who also take time out of their busy lives to spend some time with me while doing it.

Thank you exercise buddies, for being so spritely and fun. You make sweating my ass off much more enjoyable.

xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment