Friday, March 16, 2012

Bowl of Yums

Who doesn't love a noodle bowl? Stand up, at let ye be glared at!

I love noodle bowls. Noodley noodley noodle bowls. When I go back to NYC, I seek out the noodle. When I am recovering, I seek out the noodle. When I don't know what else to prepare, I seek out the noodle. When I had no money....we all know....we sought out the Ramen! (Still do for a sinful pleasure!)

Well, this noodle bowl is missing a lot of the sin Ramen hangs with. The first time I saw the fat count on my tasty brick, I was preggers with my 1st and thought I would have a light snack/dinner while waiting for later dinner (to be followed by elevnsies of ice cream). I was crushed by the number! But I later found out that curly, joyous noodles don't have to be high in fat! And for this recipe you can use any noodle you want. Soba, rice, whatever floats your boat. My brand?









Hellooooooooo good lookin'!


Pork and Shrimp Pancit

Ingredients

  • 1 package rice noodles, soba, ramen, what have you
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided (Do I even use that much? Most likely I don't)
  • 1 small onion, minced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked small shrimp, diced
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked pork (or chicken? AND chicken, lose the shrimp?)
  • 4 cups shredded bok choy (I have also used spinach, snow peas, D- all of the above)
  • 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
  • 1/4 cup chicken broth
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 green onion, minced


Directions

  1. Cook noodles as directed; drain.
  2. Heat 1 tablespoons oil in a wok or large heavy skillet over medium high heat. Saute noodles for 1 minute. Transfer to serving dish, and keep warm. Add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to skillet, and saute onion, garlic, ginger, shrimp and pork for 1 minute. Stir in bok choy, oyster sauce and chicken broth. Season with pepper flakes. Cover, and cook for 1 minute, or until bok choy is wilted. Spoon over noodles, and garnish with minced green onion.
Serve it in Winter, Summer, and anywhere in between! Load it heavy with veggies. Change your protein. Anything goes which is why I love the noodle bowl. SO all encompassing, open minded, and ready for what you throw at it.
Noodle it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment