Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Pulling the Plug -- Amanda Writes

I am so guilty. So, so guilty. I do this all the time. I simultaneously do it myself and resent it in others.

 I hate hosting my friends and chatting up a storm, then watching someone take out their phone to entertain them and connect them elsewhere if the conversation doesn't interest them at any particular moment. 


I hate hanging out with friends and wondering aloud "I wonder if it will be nice tomorrow" only to have someone thrust their iPhone into my face with weather.com's prediction.


I hate waiting in a waiting room or standing in line and watching people take out their phones out of sheer habit, sheer inability to cope with momentary boredom. Think of all those spontaneous conversations that are now extinct from society.

And yet I am guilty of doing all these things myself at times. I feel so unsettled about it.

I need to spend less time on my phone. I need to spend more time completely plugged into the people and places around me.





 Summer has become, to me, about more than just chlorinated pools and saltwater oceans. It has come to mean complete and total freedom and (ironically enough) authentic connection...two things I can't and don't have while plugged in.


So farewell to those of you who have been reading all along, I will be back in no time flat. 

For now, life is beckoning me and I will always answer her intoxicating call.

xoxoxoxoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment